Today I talked to Art Thatcher, who is a Principle with GreenPlay. A LOT is changing in the world of parks and recreation. I had the privledge of sitting down with Arthur Thatcher with GreenPlay LLC to talk about the ways the young professionals are changing the face of recreation. I love his perspective on the trends of parks recreation and the way that it’s going.
Art talks about the ways in which millennials are shifting the workplaces of parks and recreation agencies. We also talk about how our communities are shifting from registered programs to drop-in recreation opportunities. Those “meet-up” type of programs allow busy individuals the ability to participate when its convenient for them. Social Media is a whole new outlet for parks and recreation, and it allows those drop-in type of programs to thrive.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Entrepreneurship of millennials in our field and beyond
- The specialization of parks and rec career paths
- The changing on-demand nature of programs
- How social media and connectivity will impact our field
- The need for flexible schedules and workplaces.