In this episode, Dustin Graham talks about emerging trends in parks and playgrounds. We get deep into how playgrounds are the foundation for skill building and risk taking.
What does the future of parks look like? What happens when cookie cutter playgrounds get replaced by unique, creative, and imaginative structures?
Dustin Graham, a Designer and Territory Manager, for Great Southern Recreation, has been working in the parks and recreation industry for 15 years. Dustin’s eclectic recreation experience has lead him to the wonderful world of play space design and construction. Dustin services East Tennessee and East Georgia providing design/build services in the playground and splash pad space.
Dustin is Raising the Bar By:
- Creating spaces that impact our communities beyond the park
- Advocating for risky elements in playgrounds for the benefit of child development
- Asking the big questions like...
"How do we make our communities say, 'I love my park system'?"
Emerging Trends in Parks and Playgrounds:
- The rise of splash pads (less maintenance, less staff, and less insurance!)
- How topographic challenges won't limit a playground, but will actually be an advantage
- The potential of using old inhabitable places and transforming them to new gems
- What to say when someone remarks, "That's dangerous!!" to a new piece of playground equipment
- The new features that make playgrounds come alive:
- How technology can impact the way kids interact with nature
- Future use of QR codes and augmented reality
- App-based social fitness challenges
- How sound and light features will become integrated in parks in conjunction with smart phone technology (similar idea w/ Disney lights --> watch video )
"Playgrounds are great natural classrooms for kids to learn about themselves" - Dustin Graham
- Gametime Fitness Challenge Course (must watch video!)
Beltline Park in Atlanta