Everyday as parks and recreation professionals, we have the opportunity to change lives. This site is an opportunity to share those stories and empower leaders in our field.
Like many of you, I started my career in a what I thought was a traditional career path, dreaming of what it would be like to become a parks and recreation director. After graduating with a degree in natural resources recreation and tourism at the University of Georgia (Go Dawgs!), I used my experiences as a camp director and park volunteer to transition into a full time role as a recreation assistant, then to a facility coordinator. My current role as project consultant role for a company called GreenPlay LLC. We create Master Plans for Parks and Recreation agencies.
Some of the highlights of my career thus far:
- Traveling and visiting parks across the country in a 13ft camper with my dog and hubby
- Speaking at NRPA (3x), Colorado, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Georgia
- Co-creating the Marketing and Communications Certificate through NRPA
- Networking with incredible professionals who are passionate about the work we do
- Starting the Becky Talks Parks podcast and sharing it with parks and recreation professionals around the world
- Being able to travel and see new places through my career